Varilite Evolution Wheelchair Cushion
The Varilite Evolution wheelchair cushion uses air-foam flotation to provide skin protection for those at risk of tissue breakdown, and postural support for those with symmetric positioning needs.
Features of the Evolution:
- Weighing less than 1kg, the Evolution uses immersion to redistribute pressure away from those at-risk areas. The ease of use with the self-inflating valve, as well as robust design, makes it a firm favourite with wheelchair users too.
- The Varilite Evolution Wheelchair Cushion comes with a Pressure Setting Valve (PSV) or Standard Valve to make cushion set-up and adjustment even easier. And for added postural support, combined with a Wave base (see Evolution & Meridian Wave for details).
- The Varilite Evolution Wheelchair Cushion is available with a mesh or water-resistant (incontinence) cover with breathable two-way stretch material. The reticulated foam inside the cover promotes air exchange and improves pressure redistribution.
Benefits of The Evolution:
1. Air-Foam Flotation
The functional areas of the cushion are created by three types of foam; soft foam under the decubitus-sensitive area of the ITs; medium foam for the thigh trough, pelvic bucketing and pre-ischial bar; and firm foam to provide support through the perimeter and medial thigh separator.
2. Positioning Supports
Positioning supports improve stability, which is important for users with compromised sitting balance or who transfer frequently. Multi-stiffness foam provides support as the user is immersed in the cushion. Medial and lateral supports minimise internal and external lower extremity rotation. Pelvic bucketing and a pre-ischial ridge help maintain pelvic position, and thigh troughs promote a natural femoral position.
3. Valve for Adjusting Air Volume
The Evolution PSV uses Varilite’s patented Pressure Setting Valve. The Evolution is also available with a traditional two-way Varilite valve.
The Evolution comes complete with either a mesh or water resistant cover made from a breathable two-way stretch fabric. Reticulated foam inside promotes air exchange and improves pressure redistribution. The Evolution cover is machine washable, tumble dryable and meets ISO 7176-16 ignition resistance standards for upholstered wheelchair components.
A modifiable closed-cell foam wedge is available with each Evolution, to assist pressure redistribution from the sensitive ITs onto the thighs.
Varilite offer a family of contoured bases for positioning support. Clinicians can combine the Evolution adjustable Air-Foam Flotation skin protection cushions with a solid ‘enhanced positioning’ base.
There are three different wave designs available:
- CPW (Contoured Positioning Wedge)
- LPB (Lateral Positioning Base)
- CPB (Contoured Positioning Base)
These bases enhance the Evolution’s natural positioning benefits in the sagittal (anterior – posterior) plane and provide further lateral and medial positioning support for both the pelvis and the legs, at the same time permitting greater envelopment of soft tissues, and thereby providing wider pressure redistribution away from the bony prominences, such as the ischial tuberosities (ITs). Increased gluteal off-loading of forces on the ITs is a further benefit.
These bases can be found below…
You may also enjoy…